is located on US 95 South about 25 miles east of Hawthorne.
Prior to 1881, Luning was a stage station known as
Deep Wells and the stages ran to Downeyville, Grantsville
and Belmont. In 1881, the Carson & Colorado Railroad
passed through this location. At the time, the name
was changed to Luning to honor a heavey stock owner
of the railroad. Today Luning is kept active with a
post office, a bar, a gas station and about 100 residents.